Pool Certificates

Pool Inspections

Pool Regulations


Qld Register your pool or spa

Posted in Pool Safety Regulations

All pools and spas in Queensland need to be registered. Fines of up to $2000 may apply if your pool or spa is not registered by 4 November 2011. To check if your pool or spa is registered, simply conduct a property search on the pool register tool.

Enter your property details. The register will validate the address entered and will advise if the pool or spa is registered and if there is a valid pool safety certificate attached to the property.

Please note: If your address is not recognised, try registering your pool using 'Lot on plan' option (above 'Street address' on the register). Lot on plan details are recorded on your rates notice. For example, if the rates notice describes the lot as 'Lot 1 on RP 234567', then enter '1RP1234' as the 'lot on plan', or 'Lot 2 on SP 345678' will be entered as '2SP345678'.

If the register states no pools or spas are recorded against this property, click on ‘alert the Pool Safety Council’ and enter the number of pools and spas located on the property.

Register your pool or spa
Frequently asked questions on registering your pool or spa

By using this method, your obligations to register your pool or spa will be satisfied even though the registration will not show up automatically on the pools register. The information emailed to the department will then be uploaded onto the database.

Inspector search

Pool owners seeking a pool safety certificate will need to contact a licensed swimming pool safety inspector to arrange an inspection. The register includes a list of licensed pool safety inspectors.

Search for a swimming pool safety inspector

Property search

The pool safety register has been developed under the new pool safety laws. The register is being populated with local governments' records of regulated pools across Queensland.

The deadline for pool registration has been extended by six months to enable the government and the community to focus on flood and cyclone recovery efforts. Pool owners now have until 4 November 2011 to ensure their pool is registered. Penalties of up to $2000 will apply after this time.

If the register shows that there is a current pool safety certificate for a property this can be relied on for any sale or lease of a regulated pool.

You can now begin a search for a property and view details of the most recent pool safety certificate if one has been issued for that property.

Search for a property

Registered users

Swimming pool safety inspectors must log in using the login box at the top right of this page to issue a pool safety certificate and update account details.

Inspector registration

Individuals can apply to become a licensed pool safety inspector if they have completed a pool safety inspector course training from an eligible course provider, passed the department’s pool safety inspector test, and have obtained the required professional indemnity insurance.

Pool safety inspector application checklist (PDF icon 45 KB)

Apply to be an inspector

What are regulated pools?

Regulated pools include pools associated with:

  • houses
  • units and unit complexes
  • motels
  • hotels
  • hostels
  • backpacker accommodation and short term accommodations
  • caravan parks
  • mobile van parks.


Posted in Pool Safety Regulations

The new pool safety laws apply to pools associated with houses, townhouses, units, hotels, motels, backpacker hostels, home stay accommodation and caravan parks (building classes 1-4 as defined under the Building Code of Australia). Pool owners have until 30 November 2015 to comply with the new pool safety standard, or earlier if they sell or lease their property before then. Different rules apply depending on whether the pool is a shared pool or non-shared pool.

    Shared pools – If residents of two or more dwellings can use a pool, such as a body corporate pool, it is a shared pool.
    Non-shared pools – If a pool is only accessible to residents of one dwelling, such as a private house or private spa on a unit balcony, it is a non-shared pool.
    All pools in Queensland need to be registered. The government has extended this date till November 4th 2011. Make sure you do this to avoid the risk of being fined up to $2000.
    All Queensland properties must be adhere to having a Pool Safety Certificate within the 5 year period. (30th Nov 2015)
    Be aware not having pool safety certificate the risks are even higher should a drowning or submersion injury occur in your pool.
    For more information go to www.dip.qld.gov.au


laws ">Qld Pool safety laws

Posted in Pool Safety Regulations

Swimming pools should be fun. However drowning is the leading cause of death in Queensland for children aged one to four years. Supervision of kids and teaching them to swim at a young age can save lives. Effective pool fencing also helps keep kids safe. This is why new pool safety laws have been introduced.

Stage 1 of the new pool safety laws was introduced on 1 December 2009 and applies to new residential pools. The final stage, stage 2, commenced on 1 December 2010 and mostly affects existing swimming pools.

There is now one pool safety standard, the Queensland Development Code Mandatory Part 3.4 (pdf 1.3 MB), that replaces 11 different pool safety standards.

What the pool safety laws mean for me

Under the new swimming pool safety laws:

  • a pool safety certificate, issued by a licensed pool safety inspector, is required when selling, buying or leasing a property with a pool (pool safety certificates are valid for one year for a shared pool and two years for a non-shared pool)
  • the pool safety standard applies to all pools associated with houses, units, hotels, motels, backpacker hostels, caravan parks, mobile van parks and other forms of short-term accommodation
  • the pool safety standard applies to indoor pools as well as outdoor pools
  • all swimming pools need to be included on the state-based pool safety register by 4 November 2011
  • safety barriers are mandatory for all portable pools and spas deeper than 300 millimetres.

If a building such as a home, unit or hotel room is within the pool fence perimeter, it needs to be fenced from the pool. This includes buildings with living areas such as games rooms. Toilet facilities and change rooms may be located within the pool area, but these structures must not provide a thoroughfare into the pool enclosure from outside.

When the new pool safety standard has to be met

Pool owners have until 30 November 2015 to comply with the new pool safety standards, or earlier if their property is sold or leased before then.

If you are selling a property with a non-shared pool on or after 1 December 2010, such as pools for houses or townhouses or units with their own pool or spa:

  • a pool safety certificate must be obtained before settlement of a contract; or
  • a notice of no pool safety certificate - form 36 (pdf 60 KB) issued before contract and before settlement advising the buyer that a certificate must be obtained within 90 days of settlement.

If you are leasing your property, a pool safety certificate must be obtained before entering into the lease.

If you are selling or entering into an accommodation agreement (e.g. lease, hotel stay etc.) for a property with a shared pool associated with short-term accommodation, such as hotels, motels, backpackers or hostels, you have a six month phase-in period to obtain a pool safety certificate.

If you are selling or entering into an accommodation agreement for units and townhouses with a shared pool or spa, there is a two year phase-in period to obtain a pool safety certificate.

New swimming pools

All new swimming pools require a building development approval. For new swimming pools:

  • mandatory follow-up inspections are required to be undertaken if the final inspection has not been done. Building certifiers are required to undertake a mandatory follow-up inspection within a set time frame after giving a building approval for a swimming pool. The time frames are 6 months for new pools or 2 years in cases where building approval is granted for a swimming pool and a new building. If the building approval is due to lapse earlier than 6 months or 2 years, the final inspection must be done before it lapses.
  • compliant temporary fences are permitted for a maximum period of 3 months during the construction of a pool. After this time, compliant permanent barriers are required. Both the temporary and permanent fences will need to be inspected and certified by the building certifier who approved the application.

The building certifier, either a private building certifier or a local government building certifier, who approved the building approval must inspect and certify the pool safety barrier before the pool is filled to a depth of 300 millimetres or more.

For inspection and certification costs, check with the building certifier who approved the application to allow the pool and safety barrier to be constructed. The fee may have been incorporated in the building development application fees.

Pool safety forms

Form 23 Pool safety certificate (PDF icon 84 KB)
A pool safety certificate is required in Queensland when selling or leasing a property with a regulated pool.

Form 36 Notice of no pool safety certificate (PDF icon 60 KB)
The owner must complete this form when selling or entering into an accommodation agreement (e.g. lease, hotel stay) for a premises with a regulated pool if a pool safety certificate is not in effect for the pool. This form only needs to be completed once, unless the required information changes after the form is completed. This form cannot be used for an accommodation agreement for a premises with a non-shared pool (e.g. house).

For additional pool safety forms.

More information

The new pool safety laws were introduced as a result of the most comprehensive review of Queensland's swimming pool safety laws (pdf 1.2 MB) in nearly 20 years.

Affordable Pool Certification Ph: (07) 5593 7228